Are you the Senior Urban Development Consultant we are looking for?
Rebel is part of an international group, dedicated to fostering sustainability in our environment. Armed with financial-economic and strategic-legal expertise, we assist governments, international development institutions, and the private sector in navigating urban challenges.
Rebel works on questions such as: how do we create liveable, accessible, and sustainable cities, with enough homes for everyone? By approaching this challenge from multiple perspectives, such as mobility, sustainability, and inclusivity, we ensure social, liveable cities that are ready for the future.
We operate with a passion for sustainable development, maintaining a clear-headed business approach. Our goal is to create sustainable impact through devising strategies for new markets, the formulation of business plans, econometric modelling, implementing intelligent structuring, securing project financing, drafting investment regulations, and developing actionable policies. We approach our work critically, independently, and constructively, driven by the belief that this is the best way to achieve optimal results for our clients.
We are looking for the following profile.
Below, you’ll find a classic checklist for the profile, providing you with some guidance. If you’re interested in joining us, we’d like to see a clear motivation alongside your CV.
- Between 5-10 years of work experience.
- Master’s degree (in Finance, Economics, Business or Engineering & Science), strong in numbers; financial-economic, econometric background, or a background in urban development.
- Advisory experience; experience in smart cities, urban mobility, real estate, housing, area development and green cities.
- Strong conceptual ability, encompassing both qualitative and quantitative analysis capabilities.
- Interest and willingness to work on project acquisition (business development) and project execution.
- Self-driven, ability to handle complexity, strategic thinker, curious and problem-solving orientation.
- Relevant network in the urban development sector is a plus; willingness to further invest in a network and the ability to build on it both substantively and commercially.
- Someone who thrives on shaping their field and working in a loosely structured working environment.
- Someone who likes to take on responsibilities within the team and can work independently on individual projects; building (powerful) presentations, your opinion is valued, and you know how to inspire our clients and our team.
- Ambition to contribute to Rebel’s success in an open organisational structure where you get to know yourself better, open up, focus on collaboration, and continuous development.
- Excellent command of the English language, both written and spoken, French or Portuguese language skills are an added advantage.
- Entrepreneurial, likes to take initiative, not afraid to take a risk, strong communication skills, hands-on mentality.
What We Offer
What Rebel Offers You:
In addition to an enjoyable, varied job in a young team, we provide a creative, entrepreneurial work environment with many driven and interesting colleagues. You will have freedom and responsibility, a competitive salary, and performance-related bonuses. You’ll take steps that align with your growth.
With our Rebel Academy, we invest in your personal development, but you can also propose your training plan. After a year, you’ll have the opportunity to become a co-entrepreneur in our company.
We are an international company committed to South Africa and the region’s development. Your home base will be our office in Johannesburg, with options for hybrid working. Whether with clients or at home, taking personal responsibility with a healthy dose of ambition.
‘No change without a Rebel’
Rebels work on the issues that affect all our futures, from sustainability, transportation, and urban development to healthcare and the social sector. We make an impact not only as consultants but also as investors. After all, anyone who believes in their own advice should be prepared to invest in it. We are committed to bringing change and initiating and realising our own projects. We are committed to bringing about change by initiating and realizing our own projects. We provide quality strategic advice & development, business policy & evaluation, partnership consulting & contracts, financial advice & modelling, and investments and fund management.
Thinking beyond existing structures
The Rebel adventure began in 2002, with ten chairs around a large round table. Sitting around that table, we decided to continue our careers in consultancy by starting our own company – we were the first Rebels. It was to be a company without a hierarchy, without bosses, without limits. A place where everyone could realize their full potential, bringing everything we have inside to the table. We bring everything we have inside to the table. Intrinsic motivation, the urge to bring change, expertise and one constant focus: to make a real impact with our projects around the world. We now work with more than 180 Rebels from our offices in Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Antwerp, Düsseldorf, London, Washington D.C., Nairobi, and Johannesburg.
The drive and determination of that first step in 2002 informs how we work with and on behalf of our partners to this day. Trust is everything. In everything we do, and we do a lot! Our objective is to have a positive impact on the world. Operating at the interface between the public and the private sectors, combining social values with a keen business sense is at the core of every Rebel. That might seem like an ambitious goal, perhaps, but we have always relished a challenge. We invite everyone to join in, to become part of the change. Let’s think beyond existing structures. As governments, as companies and as individuals.
Are you interested?
Get in touch
Get in touch in a way that suits you! In any case, contact Antoinette Crafford (email@example.com) before February 9th, attaching your CV and motivation. For more information about Rebel and your potential career, take a look at our job vacancy page and listen to our podcast “Where do I want to work – Rebel”.